Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bonifacio: Modern Pinoy Food!

Finally, i found my memory card. Whew! I was getting upset as I've been looking for it. As this is where my wondeful memory of my first meet up with fellow food lovers resides.

We've gone to different school, we were of different age, we grew up in our own familial environment, but one thing is for sure, food is our passion. It's just amazing how people are brought together by sharing the same virtue, the joy of eating. *smile*

My first meet up with Harris and Xinli, fellow foodies happened in a restaurant that's very close to my heart...a place serving Filipino cuisine. Just like my companions, it was also my first time to dine here at Bonifacio so we were all up for a nice treat. Harris, made the reservation and arranged the logistics (thanks). We met up at Outram Park station though I missed them when I exit the train station (I guess I was in a hurry as I was 5 mins late). Xinli had gone around the area and took some nice pictures check out: Kreta Ayer and Kheong Saik Road.  Btw, he's also a walking GPS :D (you'll never get lost *wink*)

I've been hearing Bonifacio from my Filipino friends, but never got the chance to try it. The moment we enter the place, it feels like home.
native chairs, paintings of heroes or anything of Filipino symbolism. One side of the wall was colorful giving its modern feel.

Harris ordered Sago't Gulaman as his drink. It was nice of Bonifacio to consider Singaporean taste. But, hey, Harris won't be Harris if he would be conservative with his order, so he ordered it the Filipino way. Trivia: For Filipino food dictionary, we like it either too sweet or too salty, "a bit" doesn't exist in our vocabulary. This drink is considered a specialty in the Philippines. It's made of tapioca and jelly and with  sugar water, voila! simple, sweet and refreshing. When I was young, I remember it was being sold in small stores for less than .20 sgd a cup.




Mango shake (5/5) for me. I didn't think twice of getting it when they said that the mangoes they are using flew all the way to Singapore from the Philippines. Hubby do agree that Filipino mangoes have a nice, different kind of sweetness compared to other mangoes imported here. Xinli and Harris attested that my drink had its natural sweetness and was really revitalising.








Tuna Sisig (3.75/5) - Ask any Filipino what is the best companion during beer time, 98% would answer SISIG.  Typically, sisig is made of pig's head parts, from ears to cheeks and sometimes with innards, which are boiled first before it's fried or grilled with chilis and placed in a hot sizzling plate, with a raw egg on top. Combine it with lime and soy sauce while mixing the egg, we can smell the goodness of this dish. I'm not a fan of pork sisig but tuna or usually milkfish sisig brings out the Filipino in me. This starter was tasty enough but I think they could have done it better. Plus, for a 13 dollar sisig plate, i'm sure we can get more. Nevertheless, still thumbs up for a sisig plate in SG.

With drops of soy sauce and squirts of lime, mixed together, ready to dig in


Himagsikan Harris choice before we even got to this restaurant.  Revolution in English, I guess, with a restaurant named Bonifacio, who's one of the Philippine heroes, who revolted against the colonizers, this dish is their house specialty. The plate was like a seafood fight.  From mussels to big prawns up to a grilled tuna with a warm center, i'm sure Harris enjoyed this treat. The fried rice contained bits and pieces of chorizo pork (yes Filipinos love eating pork, we put pork in everything, even to our last vegetarian dish.  A Filipino staple after rice, that's why we have the best roasted pig (lechon) in the world..but that's another story :D). I leave the review of this dish to Harris .
Chicken Inasal (4.5/5) - Xinli got this chicken and was surprise how this tasted so good and unique.  It may look the usual roasted chicken you can get anywhere but making it says otherwise.  A friend from Bacolod, a place in the Philippines where this chicken originated from told me the tales on how they cook the original chicken inasal.  She mentioned that making it is not as easy as 1-2-3.  Chicken is first marinated with garlic, vinegar or lime (giving its sour taste but not overwhelming), soy sauce and others.  And it should be marinated not too long nor too short.  Afterwhich, it's grilled while being basted with annatto sauce (which is another process of completing the best of this chicken).  I was able to taste a portion of Bonifacio's version, and yes, i'm approving it!  Check out an extensive review from Xinli.

Daing na Bangus (3.75/5) - It sounds complicated but basically, this is deep fried milkfish.  I've been craving for this and have requested mom to cook it for me for my first dinner when i'm back in the Philippines.  Bonifacio's version was well marinated and with the dip of native vinegar (pinakurat) completed the worksIt was cooked the Filipino way, fried until it's crispy (see how the fish ends were curled), just the way i like it.  It was air flown from the Philippines, thus, it's a bit on the pricey side.  (craving costs a lot of money, tsk tsk :D)

a cup of adobo rice shared with Xinli, fulfilled our 'balanced' diet.  (the rice according to XL and Harris, tasted like a good, oily duck rice)
*adobo - marinade with soy sauce, vinegar and basil

You might be wondering, we didn't order pork at all.  What could be more enjoyable, if we are able to share our food with each other.  That's what you called the 'love for food'.


Price Summary (SGD)
Tuna Sisig = $12.95
Himagsikan (seafood) = $22.95
Chicken Inasal = $11.95
Daing na Bangus (Fish) = $22.95
Mango Shake = $5.95
Sago't Gulaman = $4.95
Adobo Rice = 90 cents
*GST and Svc Chg apply


35 Kreta Ayer
(walking distance from Outram Park NEL)
Lunch : 11 to 3 pm
Dinner : 6 pm to 10 pm
Closed on Mondays


6 comments:

  1. certainly looks like a lovely meal :D

    i've never had filipino food, but i'll give it a try next time!

    btw, i take pictures of the map of the places i might visit to avoid getting lost. perhaps you could try that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recommendation, i know this is probably the twentieth time that i am saying this, but boy did i like the food and i do miss it!

    thanks too for your good pictures of me, somehow or another you make me seem a tiny bit more muscular than what i really am hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys if you are keen, you can go to Mang Kiko's Lechon at Somerset Youth Park :)
    The bbq pork belly, sising and inasal are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stargirl, yes you should try it :) Something different once in a while.

    Harris! Come on, i'm sure you build up those muscles ;) My shots were nothing but natural *wink*

    Hi Foodoshoot, BBQ pork belly was awesome. Filipinos love this too! They have a different version of chicken inasal which is more of roasted chicken, but it's nice as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so going here some time soon! I've heard nothing but positive things from Harris! And I love Filipino cuisine - I've literally grown up eating Filipino food that my help cooked - Adobo chicken, pinakbet (i'm not sure how do you spell that), the salted fish that goes so well with rice, pork sausages and my favourite the green bean stew and last but not least, decadent creme caramel)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenn! Nice to hear that you love Filipino food! That green bean stew is my favorite! That's always the first thing I ask my mom to cook for me when I go back :). And of course, that always goes well with milkfish. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete